miss b's quote

'I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list' Susan Sontag

Thursday 17 May 2012

miss b loves..........frittata


I'm a huge fan of frittata and Spanish tortilla - it's perfect for a quick, tasty lunch or midweek meal. I picked up a recipe leaflet in Sainsbury's for this new potato, watercress and bacon version which is packed with fresh seasonal produce........ 


Serves 4
650g new potatoes (I used 450g as I wanted a lighter frittata)
1½ tbsp olive oil
200g bacon, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
50g mature Cheddar cheese
6 medium free-range eggs, beaten
75g bag watercress 



1. Put the potatoes in a pan of cold water, bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 mins. Remove from the heat, drain, then run under cold water until cool enough to handle. Cut into chunks and put in a large bowl.
2. Meanwhile, heat ½ tbsp of the olive oil in a 23cm frying pan and cook the bacon for 3-4 mins. Add the onion and garlic and cook for a further 5 mins.



3. Put the bacon, onion and garlic into the bowl with the potato chunks. Grate in the cheese and add the eggs and half the watercress. Mix to combine and season with black pepper.
4. Heat the grill to high. Heat the remaining oil in the same frying pan, then pour in the frittata mixture and cook over a low heat for 15-20 mins.(The base should be set but the top still runny - make sure the base doesn't burn!!)


5. Put under the grill for a further 5-10 mins until fully set.



6. Serve sliced with the remaining watercress and a green salad.


miss b recommends:
  • eat the frittata cold (just as delicious!) - ideal for packed lunches or picnics
  • cut into bite-sized pieces for canapés or buffets
  • vary the ingredients....add sliced mushrooms, chopped red peppers, sweetcorn etc.
  • use a red onion or spring onions instead of the white onion.
More variations here

52 comments:

  1. That looks out of this world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks yummy! :)

    btw. thanks for your comment. ♥ I really like your blog, would you want to follow each other? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so yummy! I never have time to actually make something for breakfast, but I'm thinking I could make it as breakfast for dinner one night? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonjour miss b. Thank you for stopping by chez French Girl in Seattle today. It's still early in Seattle, but you made me very hungry with this wonderful recipe. I may give it a try this weekend! Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good nudging for me, I often forget about frittata and it's so easy and one of my faves. I put hot sauce all over it...will have to try some watercress with it too

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooohhh i love frittata!! i always say i'm going to make it (and quiche) but for some reason never do. i've got to make this asap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it seems delicious :)


    With love,Mia

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so good! Thanks for posting the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so delicious, i have to try!
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. So healthy and you can change things up according to what's available seasonally. This might be a good option for tonight!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks delicious! I am definitely going to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum!,Miss B.,Frittata...the title alone had me just about ready to lick the screen. beautiful recipe!

    Big hugs!
    Inés

    SimplyClassyMe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always prepare this at home I think 2-3 times a week. very easy and healthy :)

    xoxo, Haus of Gala

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum. This looks so good. I'm going to try out over the weekend for lunch!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Me too - love the stuff !!

    Joanne

    http://www.balletpumpsandroses.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy! Perfect for a picnic, I think - just add a bottle of rose. So glad you popped by yesterday. So nice to "meet" you. Enjoy the weekend! XO

    ReplyDelete
  17. hmmm yummy!!

    natalie
    http://lucyandtherunaways.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. mm if I could eat bread this would be so so good!!
    xx

    The Urban Umbrella
    xoxo


    http://www.theurbanumbrella.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I usually do a quiche, but this looks so much more filling. Merci pour une bonne idée!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Me too missb! I had never cooked one until my son was diagnosed with coeliac's - now it's a staple!

    Hugs and have a great weekend, Stephie x

    ReplyDelete
  21. looks delicious - enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. that looks delicious!

    <3

    and don't forget you can win an awesome kralenschatten necklace just by leaving your e-mailaddress ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. IT WAS AMAZING AND RELAXING!
    I REALLY LIKE FRITTATA!!!!!
    LOVE FROM ITALY

    ReplyDelete
  24. That Fritatta looks really good! Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  25. ñam ñam ...

    The spanish tortilla is just with potato ( some people like to add onion). Frittata is the italian version of just egg but this one with vegetables looks amazing!

    http://ladiesandthecityfashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love FRITTATA CON ZUCCHINE! Yum!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Must try it with lettuce too! Thanks for popping over to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Me too! I might make one tonight!!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  29. woow! this looks soo tasty!!
    thanks also for your lovely comment in my blog!
    http://citygirltoday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. It sounds delicious, i've never really been a fan of ommlette type dishes but would actually try this as it sounds so nice.

    The doll on fashion

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yum! Looks delicious :)

    Abbey x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yum that looks amazing!
    xo
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  33. mmmmmmmmmmm que bueno......:D

    amayaT.!
    www.amayat.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks everyone for all the comments! I really do enjoy reading them all.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Ooooh, yummy! I love it! This is making my tummy rumble just from looking at your photos - imagine how loud it would be rumbling if I could smell it too - *awkward*!!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful! :)

    http://liberty-walk-sara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. mmm I love frittata!! and this seems to be very inviting!!
    love your blog, following with GFC!! I hope you'll follow my blog too!!
    kisses

    http://godsavethepink.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following - I'll definitely pay you a visit soon.

      Delete
  38. Mmmmm... its looks so yummy :D
    Nice pict, following you now, mind to follow me back? Kisses :*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice of you to follow, Rin - thank you. I shall have a look at your blog soon.

      Delete
  39. YUM! Ok I am officially SO hungry. Looks delicious darling.

    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love frittatas! I make one for dinner about once a week because they are just so easy and delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. This sounds so delicious. I like most of ingredients on here. Whay a yummy dish. It kind of looks like a Spanish pizza.
    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment on my blog. I really do appreciate it. miss b

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...